- Is this a hotel?
- MACHIYA RESIDENCE INN is not a hotel, but instead offers private traditional Japanese holiday houses (vacation home) for guests. Guests are able to rent out an entire Japanese machiya house all to themselves, perfect for families, groups, special occasions, and more. As each of our machiya houses are private rentals, you will not need to share the house with other guests.
- Where should I stay in Kyoto? What area is best to stay in? There are so many to choose from!
- We currently have more than 40 private traditional holiday houses (vacation rentals) for you to choose from in Kyoto City. Located throughout Kyoto City, we have machiya houses suited for every traveler and every stay. Please contact our reservations team if you would like recommendations on where to stay - we are sure to have a machiya house that is perfect for you.
- How do I make a reservation?
We accept reservations up to 6 months in advance.
- What is the cancellation policy?
Cancellation of any reservation made with MACHIYA RESIDENCE INN may be subject to a cancellation fee:
No show / Check-in Date 100% 1 day to 7 days prior to Check-in Date 50% 8 days to 28 days prior to Check-in Date 30% 29 or more days prior to Check-in Date Full Refund minus transaction fee
- How can I make the payment?
We ask for payment upon booking.
Payment can be made via PayPal, or Credit Card (VISA/MASTERCARD/JCB only).
All payment will be made in Japanese Yen.
- May I make a reservation on behalf of another guest?
When making your reservation, please let us know the name of the guest who will be staying in the house, as well as the guests' contact number and email address.
If another guest will be making the payment, please ensure all guests are aware of reservation details.
- Does the rate include tax and service charge?
Yes. All rates shown on our webpage include 10% consumption tax (incl. sales tax, VAT, excise duty, etc.) and service fees.
In Kyoto City, a new accommodation tax will be implemented starting October 1, 2018
Accordingly, we will charge a separate accommodation tax based on you accommodation fee as determined by the Kyoto City government. Please visit the link below for more information and details.
Kyoto City Accommodation Tax
- Is the machiya house suitable for the elderly?
There are no age restrictions for guests staying with MACHIYA RESIDENCE INN.
However, please note that our machiya houses are renovated, two-story traditional Japanese properties.
While almost all of our machiya houses have a Western-Style room with beds, most are located on the 2nd Floor. Other bedding options include Japanese-style floor futons that can be set on the 1st Floor or 2nd Floor.
If you are looking for a house with specific requirements (i.e. dining table and chairs, toilet facilities on the top floor, etc.), please feel free to contact our friendly staff via email or telephone.
While we do our best to cater to all guest requests, we thank you for your understanding that some requests for adjustments cannot be met.
- Is the house suitable for children?
Yes. There are no age restrictions for guests staying with MACHIYA RESIDENCE INN.
Children under the age of 5 may share a bed with another guest with no additional charge (up to 2 children).
In this case, please process the guest as "0" when making your reservation.
Please be aware that due to the traditional layout of the houses we may not be able to make adjustments for child-proofing.
- Can we have more than the maximum number of guests in one machiya house?
- Unfortunately, due to the Japanese Fire Service Act issued by the Kyoto City government, we are unable to accept more than the maximum number of guests indicated under each property.
- Can I change the number of guests after making a reservation?
You may change the number of guests up to 2 days prior to your check-in date.
- Can I leave my luggage somewhere before check in?
Yes. You may leave your luggage at our MACHIYA INNS & HOTELS Check-in Desk between 10:00AM ~ 7:00PM.
MACHIYA INNS & HOTELS Check-in Desk
Shimogyō-ku, Kyoto 600-8216
TEL +81-75-708-6907 (international)
TEL 075-708-6907 (domestic)
Address in Japanese:
「MACHIYA INNS & HOTELS」 チェックインカウンター
Sending Luggage Prior to your Arrival:
As our properties are all for private use by our guests, there is no staff member residing there to accept your luggage.
Therefore, if you would like to send your luggage to Kyoto before your arrival, please send it to our MACHIYA INNS & HOTELS Check-in Desk.
On the delivery slip, please include the following:
① Reservation name
② Machiya house name
③ Check-in date
If you would like to send your luggage to our check-in desk prior to arrival, please let us know via e-mail.
- What time is the machiya house check in/check out?
Check-in: 15:00~ (Machiya House Entry)
- How do I check in?
■HOW TO CHECK IN■
【Arrival Between 10:00AM ~ 7:00PM】
You must check in at our MACHIYA INNS & HOTEL Check in Desk near Kyoto Station between 10:00AM ~ 7:00PM, to receive your MACHIYA Door Number to enter your house. *Please note that you will also be required to meet our staff at your machiya house after 15:00.
【Arrival After 7:00PM】
Please inform our staff in advance if you will be arriving after 7:00PM.
Due to the amendment of a Kyoto City ordinance (effective April 1, 2020),
we are required to confirm the identities of all guests, and the number of guests inside of your reserved machiya house.
■ Guests who check in at the check-in desk must ALSO check in at their reserved machiya house.
■ When you check in at our check-in desk, we will arrange for a separate meeting time at your machiya house.
We appreciate your kind understanding and cooperation in this manner.
- How do I collect the key for the house?
There is no key for our machiya houses.
Our staff will provide you with your unique MACHIYA Door Number to enter the house when you have checked in at our MACHIYA INNS & HOTELS Check-in Desk. Please note that you will not be able to enter your machiya house without this MACHIYA Door Number.
Please kindly stop by our check-in desk between 10:00AM ~ 7:00PM BEFORE heading to your machiya house.
- Is Yukata provided?
Unfortunately, we do not provide yukata.
We ask all guests' to bring their own pajamas for a good night's sleep.
However, yukata will be provided at the following houses depending on your reserved accommodation plan:
Akebono-an / Garaku-an / Masarigusa / Koyu-an
- How many children can stay without any charge?
- We allow any children under the age of 5 to stay for free (to share bedding with another guest). Up to 2 children may stay free of charge.
- Do you offer meals?
All accommodations are self-catering (no meals included), but each house has a modern kitchen with a full range of facilities.
In addition, we offer a variety of breakfast delivery options for our Kyoto guests.
If you are interested in making a breakfast delivery reservation, please click the link below: Machiya Breakfast Bento
- Can we bring pets?
- We do not allow pets inside our houses.
- What type of kitchen facilities are there?
- We provide a basic kitchen, with essential kitchen utensils and crockery enough for the number of guests staying. Please see our webpage for more details.
- What amenities are included?
Towels, linen, bathroom amenities, and more are all included in your stay.
For details on amenities, please check each individual machiya house web page.
- Can we get in touch if we have any problems during our stay?
Yes. There is a cellphone in each house in case of an emergency.
Should you have any problems or questions during your stay, you may use this phone to contact a member of staff on our emergency number which is available 24 hours per day.
- Are there any restrictions on noise in the machiya house?
No parties or events are allowed inside the machiya house at any time.
As machiya houses are traditional, wooden structures, noise tends to echo more than usual inside the houses.
Additionally, as houses are located in residential areas, close to surrounding neighbours, we respectfully ask you to take care particularly when talking in the entrance or outside the house.
- Do you have any car parking space?
Our machiya houses do not have private car parks.
However, there are several coin parking spaces located within walking distance of each property.
Please contact our staff for additional information and suggestions on where to park during your stay.
- How do I get to the house by taxi?
- We will include Japanese instructions to show to taxi drivers in Kyoto in your reservation confirmation e-mail.